Have you ever heard website developers and designers having a conversation about their profession and designing websites? If yes, then you must have noticed them talking about one of their favourite topics - responsive design. Today, we will discuss the importance of responsive designs as well as why every business needs them.
Responsive website design has also replaced the earlier requirement of designing a website that is solely dedicated to smartphone users. Now, there is no need to design numerous websites for different screen sizes. You can just design a single website that fits according to the device screen it's being viewed on. The main motive of responsive design is to prevent the difficulties that one faces while navigating the website on different devices, such as zooming, scrolling, resizing and panning etc. This problem usually arises with the websites which have not been optimized for numerous other devices, and this may actually annoy or infuriate potential consumers who want to figure out how things work here.
Your website should be able to adapt to the different screen sizes because you never know what device a user utilizes to open the website. Moreover, in the year 2015, Google stated that mobile-friendly websites would become a ranking component in the search engine algorithms(improves SEO). This means that websites that are not mobile-friendly will automatically fall behind in search engine results because of not being able to provide a good user experience.
To sum up, here are the benefits of a responsive website design, have a look :
1) Better User-experience
3) Improves Search Engine Optimisation
4) Allows updating the website instantly
5) Website becomes highly accessible
6) Management becomes easier
7) Actively supports link sharing on various devices
Now, let's have an in-depth look at all these points mentioned above to understand the importance of a responsive website design in detail. Here we go!
1) Seamless User-experience - User experience is a crucial subject for every business owner as your first objective is to make people fall for your website and convince them to come again & again. If a user opens your website and it doesn't cooperate with the user, such as taking forever to load videos & images, low-resolution pictures or baseless textual data, then the user would not want to come back to the website and would find other options available for him/her. A survey conducted by Google claimed that 48℅ people think that it is unprofessional behaviour and the business is relatively irresponsible towards the requirement of the consumers.
Responsive design provides a seamless user experience, and it helps in holding on to the customers and not letting them go. It creates a positive impact on a consumer's mind hence retaining them for a really long time; this is what every business aims to achieve.
2) Cost-effective - Maintaining separate websites for the audiences having various devices could get highly expensive. By opting for a responsive website design, you can save a lot as you only have to invest in one website to make it work efficiently on all devices.
3) Improves Search Engine Optimisation - Responsive web design helps with SEO because Google gives more preferences to the websites that are mobile-friendly, as mentioned earlier in this article. The reason that responsive websites rank higher on search results is that these days most of the web traffic comes from mobile devices, so Google has switched itself to mobile-first indexing. That's why when it comes to SEO, having a responsive web design is a necessity nowadays.
4) Allows updating the website instantly - If you are not able to make the changes in a single version of your website, then you are going to lose the chance of your website getting ranked higher. Having a responsive website design will help you in updating your website quickly, and you can do several changes to the single version of the website. It helps in saving time and money at the same time.
5) Website becomes highly accessible - The major traffic to the websites comes from individual searches, and when your website is handily accessible to all the different kinds of devices. If the users can search everything conveniently, then the business can enjoy lead conversions & generation and many other numerous added benefits. In simple words, a responsive design makes the website user-friendly and makes it easy for people to navigate.
6) Management becomes easier - Often, businesses don't have time to refresh/update their websites. Still, instead of hiring a website designer, a responsive design makes it easier to handle every part of the website smoothly as it gives you the liberty of making changes yourself quickly and effortlessly. Also, a responsive design takes all the stress of managing the website on its shoulders, whether the links redirected will work towards getting the exemplary visitors or not or do you need to link the mobile or desktop website on an update for social media.
7) Actively supports link sharing on various devices - A responsive website design instantly makes it practicable to browse the website for a user who received a link to the website from another user who is using a different device for browsing sites. If the website is not responsive, then it would be difficult for the user to view the information given on the webpage, and it would be totally worthless.
The websites don't look promising on every other device.
You may face some difficulties regarding the resizing of advertisements & banners on your website.
On responsive websites, it may be difficult for you to provide different kinds of stuff to different users according to the device they opt for, and this can lead you to face significant challenges.
Creating a responsive design for your website can be difficult for you to be unique and precise for your brand.
Hence, this shouldn't make you sceptical about having a responsive design for your website, as every design type has its own disadvantages. Today, everyone prefers a responsive web design because it makes browsing websites on mobile much easier than before.
Every one of us wants our website to look good on several types of devices; we have come up with a responsive website testing checklist which is given below, that will help you to make your website look impressive. You can visit Responsive web design testing: the beginner's guide to learn about how to do the test, tools used for the test, tips for the test and much more.
Responsive website testing for smooth navigation
Responsive website testing for the fonts on multiple devices
Responsive website testing on device-browser combinations
Responsive website testing on small screen devices
Responsive website testing the speed of your website
Responsive website testing for element alignments
Responsive website testing for content placement
Responsive website testing for cross-browser compatibility issues
Responsive website testing for an interactive experience
However, we need to keep one thing in mind; responsive website testing is a continuous process as new devices are launched in the market every now & then. Watch this video tutorial to understand how responsive website testing works :